We want to provide an inclusive space for anyone interested in volunteer publishing or nonprofit experience. If you’d like to help us shape who this publication looks and sounds like, and who gets to be a part of this literary community, join us.
Volunteer Poetry Reader
Readers are the first pairs of eyes on submissions to Longleaf every submission period. Playing an important part of the publication process, you’ll report to your genre editors, who rely heavily on your opinions and editorial insights.
All experience levels and backgrounds are welcome—just be ready to read, rate, and have fun.
- Read 5–20 submissions a week from Feb through April (we appreciate any time you can give!)
- Communicate with genre editors through Slack
What you bring
- A passion for reading, especially in your chosen genre
- Experience, publications, or education is nice to have but not required
- A passion for diversity and championing new writing
Why join us
- Get insight into the selection & publication process for a successful online literary magazine
- Join a strong community of editors, readers, and writers
- Enjoy strong submission pools: our small but mighty journal receives high-quality work every reading period.
- Contributor literary stewardship: volunteers help keep the magazine free to read and to submit
- Join optional virtual readings where all staff is invited to share their work they’re proud of or working on.** You do not have to read to attend and enjoy.
Ready to read with us?
Just answer a few questions and you’re all set.