Submissions are closed.
Please read our submission guidelines below, then submit using the forms at the bottom of this page.
- For fiction and CNF, you may submit one piece <5,000 words or up to three micros (<500 words each), in one document.
- For poetry, you may submit 1-3 poems in one document.
- For hybrid, you may submit one image-prose piece (<5,000 words) *or* up to three image-prose micros (<500 words each) in one document. For image-poems, you may submit 1–3 pieces in one document.
- We’ll accept only one submission per person, so please do not submit in multiple categories.
- We only accept submissions via the Google Forms below; please do not email your submission to us.
- We only accept .doc or .docx files, and we prefer an easy-to-read 12-point font (e.g., Times New Roman).
- Please include your name, pronouns, and any relevant content warnings on the first page. We prioritize #OwnVoices submissions, so if your work centers the knowledge or experience of a marginalized group, please also include an identity statement on the first page so we know your relationship to that group.
- Our policy is to accept only previously unpublished work. However, literary journals sometimes break their trust with the literary community and leave authors in the lurch. Therefore, if you have pulled previously accepted work from a publication due to harassment or bigotry, or if your work has been previously published without your full informed consent by a predatory press and has since been removed, we will consider it. Please make a note on the first page of your submission regarding its publication history.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but please let us know if a piece is published elsewhere. To withdraw your submission: please email longleafreview(at)gmail(dot)com with the title and genre of the piece and “WITHDRAW” in the subject line.
- If we accept your piece for publication, please wait 6 months before submitting to us again. If we do not accept it, you’re welcome to resubmit as soon as we open again for submissions.
- You can generally expect a response time of 2–3 months. We consider each submission carefully, and this time period ensures that your work will get the attention it deserves.
- Accepted pieces may be subject to developmental and/or copy edits. Editing is a collaborative process with the author, and we won’t make any major changes without your approval.
- We’ve pledged with VIDA’s #saferLIT campaign. We will not tolerate any form of abusive behavior or bigotry in the stories we publish, nor the authors who write them. This means no anti-Semitism, racism, sexism, misogyny, transphobia, homophobia, fatphobia, Islamophobia, xenophobia, or stories that in any way perpetuate negative stereotypes.
- Longleaf Review takes one-time non-exclusive electronic rights and archival rights to your work. At this time we do not provide contracts. By submitting to us, you are agreeing to the above terms.