We’re publishing individual pieces throughout 2023. Thanks to a very generous donor, we’re also excited to offer a $20 honorarium to each published writer this year (or until funds run out).
Please review our detailed guidelines for each genre on Submittable. It’ll make us super happy (and way more likely to publish your brilliant writing). Generally though, we accept the following genres and word counts:
- For fiction, please submit 1 piece (flash or short fiction) under 3,500 words in a single Word doc.
- For creative nonfiction, please submit 1 piece that’s under 3,000 words in a single Word doc.
- For poetry, you can send 1–3 pieces of poetry per submission opening in a single Word doc.
- For fiction and creative nonfiction reviews, aim for 850—1000 words, including pull quotes.
- For interviews, send a Q&A between 1,500–2,500 words, with an optional 250–500 word introduction.
February 1, 2023
Our submission window for each genre will close when we’ve reached our submission cap. We do this to ensure we can read and respond to each submission in a timely manner. You can look out for open submission periods on our Twitter and Instagram.
What happens after my work is accepted?
We party! And then we edit. Accepted pieces may be subject to developmental and/or copy edits. Editing is a collaborative process with the author, and we won’t make any major changes without your approval. After editing, we’ll schedule your piece for publication.
When can I submit my work again?
- If we’ve just accepted your work, please wait 6 months before submitting work to us again. We’ll probably love everything else you write, too, and we want to give everyone a fair shake.
- If we didn’t accept your work this time, we sincerely hope you’ll send us something new during our next submissions cycle.
- And if you’ve just completed a volunteer role with us, please wait 6 months before sending us your own work.
When will I hear back about my submission status?
We’ll respond within 3 months. We consider each submission carefully, and this time period ensures that your work gets the attention it deserves.
How can I get in touch with the Longleaf team?
We only respond to queries sent via email and/or Submittable. Feel free to drop us a line at editorial (at) longleafreview (dot) com.